"By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; and by knowledge its rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant treasures." Proverbs 24:3

My Wild Things


I have to admit, I never read Where The Wild Things Are as a child.  I think it was read to me once in school, but I never touched the book after that.  They scared me, those wild things.  They had terrible teeth, and terrible claws, and terrible eyes.  They were wild!  

I was a little girl, and I didn’t understand about wild things.  Now I'm a mom of two little boys.  Sometimes little boys are wild things. 

I appreciate this book now more than I ever did, because I see myself in that mom in the book who sends her wild thing off to bed without supper, then sneaks in a some hot food later.  I see my little boys in Max, who makes mischief of one kind and another.  

I've never sent my kids to bed without supper, but I have had to tame the wild in my boys at times, and just like the mom in the book who brought her boy back from where the wild things are, I always let my wild things know that they are accepted and cared for no matter how wild they are.  I believe that a mother's unconditional love (and a hot supper) can tame the wild in a child like no other thing.

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:7

We recently did a Literature and Comprehension unit on Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.  Visit this post to see what we did and to get some lesson ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment